The Joint Commission Healthcare Staffing Certification
Why It Matters If Your Travel Nurse Agency is TJC Accredited
Elite Specialty Staffing is proud to have received the Joint Commission Healthcare Staffing Certification, which comes with the infamous Gold Seal of Approval.
To appreciate what this means to you as either a healthcare facility that needs travel staffing solutions or as a clinician with interest in our high-paying travel jobs, we want to educate you more on The Joint Commission standards and what this seal actually is.
What is Joint Commission Accreditation?
You might be wondering what does JCAHO stand for? JCAHO is actually the former acronym for the independent, non-profit organization that is now simply known as “The Joint Commission” (TJC). Its full name used to be the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Although the acronym has changed to TJC, many people still refer to this body as JCAHO.
What Are the Benefits of The Joint Commission Accreditation?
The Joint Commission approved Elite Specialty Staffing’s Health Care Staffing Services (HCSS) certification application. Achieving this recognition establishes our company’s ability to offer professional and expert staffing services.
Elite Specialty Staffing is committed to offering the highest standard of excellence and quality in the nurse and clinician staffing industry. This prestigious certification comes with the following benefits according to the official TJC website:
- “Provides a framework for organizational structure and management;
- ‘Provides a competitive edge in the marketplace;
- ‘Enhances staff recruitment and development;
- ‘Is recognized by insurers and other third parties; and
- ‘May reduce liability insurance costs.”
We Went Through the Following Processes:
To earn accreditation and to meet The Joint Commission standards is no easy feat. As a veteran nurse/health care staffing agency, we’ve long adhered to the highest standards in the industry for many years, but we decided to take the leap and demonstrate our commitment by achieving this recognition. We went through the following steps to become certified:
- A thorough review of The Joint Commission standards
- Complete internal assessment of our current processes in comparison to The Joint Commission standards
- Resolve any gaps in our programs against the standards
- Apply for the Healthcare Staffing Certification
- Meet all the performance measurements set forth by The Joint Commission
What Are the Eligibility Requirements for the Certification?
To be eligible for the TJC accreditation, our travel nurse and clinician staffing agency had to meet the following requirements as quoted on the official website:
- “Place temporary clinical staff in other organizations that direct or provide direct patient care. This includes disciplines such as physicians, RNs, LPN/LVNs, nursing assistants, pharmacy personnel, radiology technicians, surgical assistants, respiratory therapists, laboratory staff, etc. These settings include health care organizations, schools, occupational and community settings, etc.;
- ‘Place temporary clinical staff under the direct supervision of another organization’s personnel;
- ‘Collect and present four months of data for each of the three standardized performance measures by the time of onsite review; and
- ‘Place at least 10 clinical staff by the time of onsite review.”
How The Joint Commission Follows Up & Measures Performance
Healthcare staffing agencies who have earned The Joint Commission certification, such as Elite Specialty Staffing, must adhere to the following performance measures to keep this accreditation according to the official site:
- “Do not return rate for clinical reasons;
- ‘Do not return rate for professional reasons; and
- ‘Completeness of personnel file.”
At Elite Specialty Staffing, we collect our data monthly and conduct thorough measurements of each one of these sets. Quarterly, this information is sent to The Joint Commission.
Joint Commission Accreditation Provides Assurance
Book your next contract CNA as a health care facility manager or pick up an exciting travel nursing job as an RN with full confidence that Elite acknowledges compliance and upholds The Joint Commission standards.
Adherence to these quality measures that have been developed through consensus-based data collection demonstrates our commitment to excellence in healthcare staffing and gives you confidence in your decision. Michele Sacco, who is the Executive Director of Health Care Staffing Services Certification at The Joint Commission, had the following to say about the accreditation:
Healthcare organizations that contract with Elite Specialty Staffing can look to this certification as an assurance that Elite Specialty Staffing demonstrates a commitment to providing and continuously improving quality services.
Nursing Shortage Drives the Need for Travelers
Nursing shortages have been endangering the lives of patients and increasing the rate of burnout among nurses since the 1930s. To learn more about the history of the nursing shortage and how the demand to fill new COVID-19 jobs has only increased this need, check out our recent blog post, “Nursing Shortage Worsens as Travel COVID-19 Jobs Increase”.
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, an influx of travel nursing companies emerged. As such, so did the need to regulate the agencies in order to ensure clinicians were professional and licensed to provide their services. Thus, The Joint Commission certification was first launched in 2004 to give an independent review of the travel staffing agency’s ability to provide professional nurse and clinician staffing services.
We wear The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval as a badge of honor that symbolizes our commitment to standards of excellence and to provide the highest quality of care.” – Curtis Anderson, CEO of Elite Specialty Staffing.
If you would like to review the standards of this organization, you can read The Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goals here. If you would like to learn more about working with Elite, give us a call today at (208) 378 1338.