High-Paying Travel Nursing Jobs for specialists | 2022
Obstetrics Travel Nursing Jobs: OB Travel RNs
Learn About the Obstetrics Nursing Specialty and Travel Jobs
Obstetrics travel nurses are commonly referred to as “OB” nurses. The term “obstetrics” refers to the period of life a woman goes through during pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum. Therefore, OB travel nurses are those who provide highly specialized care to patients and families during any of these phases.
There are also OB/GYN nurses, which are nurses who work in obstetrics and gynecology. These nurses will see women all the way from puberty to menopause. Gynecology refers to the female reproductive system.
Nurses who work in obstetrics coordinate with nurse practitioners, doctors, and midwives as they provide testing and vital healthcare services. Some of the common duties of OB nurses include:
- Assistance with routine checkups
- Administration of birth control
- Assistance with blood or urine testing
- Assistance to new mothers with breastfeeding
- Administration of vaccines, such as the HPV vaccine
- Assistance with pelvic exams and pap smears
- Assistance and care during the entire labor and delivery process
- Monitoring of fetal heart tones
- Administration of labor induction treatment
- Designing and implementing infant care plans
Nurses who work in obstetrics need to be completely competent in the entire labor and delivery process. OB travel nurses can work on various units taking care of patients antepartum, during labor, and postpartum. These nurses also deliver care to infants and assist the healthcare team in caring for newborns in the hospital nursery.
You will find OB nurses in a variety of healthcare settings, such as maternity centers, health clinics, hospitals, OB/GYN outpatient offices, and pediatric facilities. In order to provide optimal support and comfort to patients during this very important time of life, OB nurses should be people who are empathetic and compassionate. These nurses also need to be highly specialized and understand the complications that can arise during labor and be able to use critical thinking to make accurate and confident decisions in order to promote the best possible outcomes for patients.
Job Skills / Requirements for OB Travel Nurses:
- Valid BLS and ACLS from the American Heart Association and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- A valid professional license within the state of practice
- Intermediate Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses (Intermediate AWHONN) and S.T.A.B.L.E. credentials are recommended and may be required for specific registered nurses and travel nurse positions
- Other specialty-related certifications are preferred and may be required for specific positions
- Proof of right to work in the United States
- Experience as an OB nurse
OB Travel Nurse Salary and Job Outlook
OB travel nurses will always be able to find rewarding jobs throughout the country because their specialized skills are needed in order to bring life into the world. Therefore, these nurses are highly regarded, and this is a very rewarding nursing specialty. There is always a demand for OB nurses from coast to coast, so you should be able to find OB travel nursing jobs in the location that you want. OB travel nursing pay is above the average salary for a registered nurse, because these skills are highly specialized and sought after.
Elite Specialty Staffing also offers referral bonuses and other incentives that can further increase pay. OB travel nurses who work with Elite Specialty Staffing can choose to take free, private, luxurious housing, or a generous housing subsidy. When you work as an OB travel nurse with Elite Specialty Staffing, you will gain all the lucrative travel nursing benefits we offer. Apply today!