High-Paying Travel Nursing Jobs for specialists | 2022
Operating Room (OR) Nursing Specialty & Travel Nursing Jobs
Find OR Travel Nursing Jobs Today with Elite Specialty Staffing
Travel nurses working in the operating room serve a vital function to any surgical team. Considering that your role is as a temporary employee filling an employment gap, you can be assured that your position is crucial to the successful functioning of your team.
These positions are in high demand and because of the possibility of emergency surgeries, you may expect to be “on-call” over weekends or holidays. Duties performed by operating room travel nurses typically include the following tasks:
- Assessment of patients before surgery
- Coordination of patients’ surgical care
- Assisting doctors or surgeons during surgery
- Monitoring of patients’ vital signs during surgery
- Preservation of the sterile operating room
- Service as a liaison between the surgical team and patient family
- Collaboration with the surgical team
Operating room travel nurses must have excellent communication skills. A surgical team includes medical professions of different disciplines, and of course, different personalities. You need to be able to keep calm and professional in a high-tension atmosphere. Your communication skills aren’t only necessary for the surgical team, but also for when you communicate with the patients’ families. Your attention to detail is another vital skill for this specialty. Attention to detail will serve you well in an operating room assisting with surgery or monitoring the patients’ vital signs during the surgery. Problem-solving and critical thinking skills are necessary for this specialty. You must be able to judge a changing situation quickly and think of solutions on the fly. Seconds matter in the operating room, so you must be calm and quick under pressure.
Once you’ve obtained enough experience in the operating room, you might consider certification for this specialty. The CNOR (Certified Nurse Operating Room) certification is a logical step if you are looking to advance your career in this specialty.
Operating Room registered nurses can work in several different medical facility settings:
- Outpatient Surgical Centers
- University Teaching Hospitals
- Children’s Hospitals
- Advanced Trauma Centers
The variety of clinical settings available in this specialty, increase the likelihood that you can find a position as an operating room travel RN in the geographical location of your choosing. Go to the mountains, the desert, the plains, or the beach. If there is an operating room nearby you can enjoy those fun free time pursuits while you pursue your career.
Job Skills / Requirements for OR Travel Nurses:
- Valid BLS and ACLS from the American Heart Association
- A valid professional license within the state of practice
- Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) credential is recommended and may be required for specific registered nurses and travel nurse positions
- Specialty-related certifications are preferred and may be required for specific positions
- Proof of right to work in the United States
- Experience as an OR nurse
Operating Room Travel Nurse Salary and Job Outlook
To work as a travel nurse in this specialty requires a nurse to have a lot of experience. As such, the salary for an operating room nurse is substantial and typically higher than the salary of an entry-level travel nurse. OR travel nurses who work with Elite Specialty Staffing can choose to take free, private, luxurious housing, or a generous housing subsidy. When you work as an operating room travel nurse with Elite Specialty Staffing, you will gain all the lucrative travel nursing benefits we offer. Apply today!